Bring Your Own Laptop: Bluetooth and beacons
It’s estimated by ABI that by 2021, there will be over 565 million Bluetooth beacons shipped per year. That’s a lot of beacons! If you are interested in being a part of this massive market and learning more about beacons, this introductory hands-on tutorial is a great place to start.
This training will start by the theory about Bluetooth beacon: how the typical Bluetooth beacon protocols (iBeacon and Eddystone) are organized and what the packet format looks like. In the second half of this session, attendees will get the chance to do a hands-on build of a Bluetooth beacon on the BBC micro:bit, and use an App on iOS or Android device to interact with it.
In this session, you will learn:
- Fundamental concepts related to Bluetooth, broadcasting, and beacons
- The application of these concepts by creating a beacon
- Best practices for designing both beacons and beacon applications
PLEASE READ THE PRE-REQUISITES! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE WORKSHOP WITHOUT THE PRE-REQUISITES!
This session is designed for developers with general programming experience.
Equipment requirements (please note this is essential in order to take part):
- You must bring your fully charged laptop (PC or MacBook) with a web browser which meets the requirements for ARM mbed listed here.
- You must bring your own iOS or Android smartphone or tablet plus a cable to connect it to your laptop.
- You must have an account with ARM Mbed. If you do not yet have an account, initiate a free one here
- Add a board to your ARM Mbed account:
- Login to your ARM Mbed account.
- Click “Hardware - > Boards” as below:
- Scroll down to “Platform vendor” at left panel and select “BBC Make it Digital Campaign”;
- Scroll up and click “BBC micro:bit” board;
- When at the BBC micro:bit board page, scroll down and click “Add to your Mbed Compiler” as shown below;
3. Add target projects into your Mbed compiler:
- For the beacon session, visit this link https://goo.gl/ryu9k4 and click “Import into Compiler”;
- Please select “Update all libraries to the latest revision” and click “Import” button as below picture shown.
- Go to Mbed Compiler. You will find the Bluetooth World Beacon session listed under the “Program Workspace” which means that it is ready for use in Bluetooth World Beacon developer sessions;
- Install the Locate Beacon app by Radius Networks. Find the free app in the Apple Store or on Google Play.
Seating is limited; developer kits are provided on a first-come-first-served basis, and to only those that have installed the necessary applications (see equipment requirements above).
Please arrive 5-10 minutes prior to the start of the session to secure your seat.