Bring Your Own Laptop: Developing custom Bluetooth peripherals using ARM mbed
Are you curious about developing with Bluetooth technology, but are not sure how to get started?
This training session will start with the theory of the Bluetooth Low Energy Generic Access Profile (GAP) and Generic Attribute Profile (GATT). Using this basic knowledge, attendees will build a custom profile, implement it on Arm mbed online compiler and use an App on iOS/Android device to interact with micro:bit board.
In this session, you will learn:
- Basic concepts of services, characteristics and descriptors
- Application of concepts to add a new Bluetooth service to a Bluetooth peripheral
PLEASE READ THE PRE-REQUISITES! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE WORKSHOP WITHOUT THE PRE-REQUISITES!
This session is best for developers with some C++ code experience.
Equipment requirements (please note this is essential in order to take part):
- You must bring your fully charged laptop (PC or MacBook) with a web browser which meets the requirements for ARM mbed listed here.
- You must bring your own iOS or Android smartphone or tablet plus a cable to connect it to your laptop.
- You must have an account with ARM Mbed. If you do not yet have an account, initiate a free one here
- Add a board to your ARM Mbed account:
- Login to your ARM Mbed account.
- Click “Hardware - > Boards” as below:
- Scroll down to “Platform vendor” at left panel and select “BBC Make it Digital Campaign”;
- Scroll up and click “BBC micro:bit” board;
- When at the BBC micro:bit board page, scroll down and click “Add to your Mbed Compiler” as shown below;
3. Add target projects into your Mbed compiler:
- For the join peripheral session, visit this link, https://goo.gl/gm4Hsm; click “Import into Compiler”
- Please select “Update all libraries to the latest revision” and click “Import” button as below picture shown.
- Go to Mbed Compiler. You will find the Bluetooth World Beacon session listed under the “Program Workspace” which means that it is ready for use in Bluetooth World Peripheral developer sessions;
Seating is limited; developer kits are provided on a first-come-first-served basis, and to only those that have installed the necessary applications (see equipment requirements above).
Please arrive 5-10 minutes prior to the start of the session to secure your seat.